PhD Student (1 post) - Dar, Basel
This is a PhD student position in social sciences. Research will focus on bottlenecks in the early detection and treatment of cervical pre-cancer.
Position: PhD Student in Social Sciences (1 post)
Reports To: Principal Investigator/Project Leader
Work Station: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania & Basel, Switzerland
Apply By: July 29th 2022
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the designing of the social science component of the project.
- Design specific study tools as required for qualitative inquiry within the project.
- Conduct observation at the community level.
- Collect qualitative data using various methods (interviews, body mapping, etc.).
- Analyze the qualitative data including transcription, coding, and theory generation.
- Support report writing and findings presentation.
- Draft manuscripts for peer-reviewed journals and write PhD dissertation.
Qualification and Experience
Master’s degree in anthropology, preferably medical anthropology, or related qualification e.g., medical sociology from a recognized Institute.
Skills and Competencies
- Skills in qualitative data management (collection and handling) and record-keeping.
- Skills in qualitative methods (IDI, FGD, KII and observations).
- Be fluent in both English and Swahili Languages.
- Computer skills.
- Good skills in problem-solving, and teamwork.
- Effective communication skills.
- Professional attitude with the highest level of integrity.
- Able to meet deadlines.
Successful candidates will be provided with student’s home support allowance at the local country institute and offered a stipend when in Basel, Switzerland.
IHI is an equal opportunity employer. We prohibit intentional biases or discrimination and harassment of any kind at the work place and during recruitment. All employment decisions are based solely on job requirements and individual qualifications, and our recruitment process is governed by the labour laws of Tanzania.
Mode of Application
All candidates who meet the above requirements should send their application letters together with their detailed curriculum vitae (CVs) showing contact addresses including email, telephone/cell phone numbers and copies of academic and professional certificates to the email address below.
The deadline for this application is 17:00 hours on Friday July 29th 2022. All e-mail application subject lines should include: PhD Student – HPV Project (SPIRIT). Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview.
Human Resources Manager
IFAKARA HEALTH INSTITUTE
#5 Ifakara Street Plot 463 Mikocheni
P.O. Box 78,373
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania