Ifakara Health Institute (IHI) is one of Africa's most eminent health research organizations with a history of more than 50 years. IHI is an independent, non-profit organization, registered in Tanzania and led by Tanzanians. The institute won the Asturias Award for International Cooperation (2008) and several other national and international awards. This non-governmental organization conducts a wide range of health-related research, including biomedical and environmental studies, trials of drugs, vaccines and diagnostics, health-systems research, and monitoring and evaluation.Title : SENIOR
Location: Dar es Salaam
Reports to Chief Internal Auditor and ensures successful completion of assigned audit engagements, from start to finish, inclusive of preplanning. He /She direct daily activities of more junior auditors. The Senior Internal Auditor applies risk and control concepts to scenarios encountered and identifies any potential issues.
He/she communicates, identifies issues with Internal Auditors and Chief Internal Auditor to ensure any potential concerns are addressed in a timely and in effective manner in all IHI branches and sites.
Duties and responsibilities
- Conducts risk assessment of assigned department/project or branch in established/required timeline
- Determines scope of review in conjunction with the Chief Internal Auditor
- Assists the Chief Internal Auditor in reviewing the effectiveness of internal control designs
- Conducts audit testing of specified area and identify reportable issues and dimensions of risk(s)
- Determines compliance with the institute’s policies and procedures.
- Communicates audit findings to the Chief Internal Auditor and writes comprehensive audit report for the audited area.
- Supervises junior auditors in the unit by providing guidance and overall review of their deliverables
- Ensures audit conclusions are based on facts and a complete understanding of the processes, circumstances, and risks
- Develops audit programs and test procedures relevant to risks and test audit objectives.
- Ensures professional standards adherence at all times to all institutional departments and units
- Communicates the assigned tasks to Chief Internal Auditor in a manner that is clear and concise ensuring high quality, accurate, and efficient results.
- Organize personal efforts along with those of junior auditors to be risk based, productive, and efficient at all times.
- Ensures adequate focus on personal professional growth relevant to taking on more challenging assignments, in line with standard audit career progression
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the Chief Internal Auditor or any member of Management Committee
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or the equivalent combination of education and training. A postgraduate degree will be an added advantage.
- Registration with the National Board of Accountants and Auditors as an Associate Certified Public Accountant (ACPA) or Fellow Certified Public Accountant (FCPA).
- Proven experience of at least five years in internal auditing. Internal auditing Non-Government organisations / firms will be an added advantage
- Solid listening skills and ability to identify gaps in logic, inquisitive.
- Possesses an appropriate combination of technical expertise in fields such as auditing, finance, research, operations, or investigations
- Ability to give and follow instructions accurately and efficiently; proactive in asking, clarifying questions to ensure work effort is directed wholly toward desired outcome
- Solid understanding and ability to apply risk and control concepts
- Ability to identify underlying cause of an issue raised.
- Good awareness of other departments in the Institute with risk, control, and governance responsibilities and what is necessary for successful tactical collaboration and information sharing
- Good communication skills along with good or developing negotiation skills
- Ability to identify sensitive issues and facilitate communications in a proactive manner to avoid surprises
- Willingness and ability to adapt to new circumstances, information, and challenges
- Demonstrate a positive, can do attitude
- Team Player
Remuneration and Mode of Employment
Attractive and competitive remuneration will be provided to the right candidate
Mode of Application
All candidates meeting the above job requirements should channel their application letters with detailed curriculum vitae (CVs) showing contact address, e-mail, telephone numbers, and photocopies of academic and professional certificates to the address below.
The deadline for this application is 30th August 2014
Chief Human Resources
Ifakara Health Institute,
Kiko Avenue, Mikocheni,
Dar es Salaam.
E mail: firstname.lastname@example.org